Sunday, September 25, 2011

OK - I'm an idiot

When I first signed up for EE my account was deleted and I had to bug Ms Ally to prove I am not an evil wicked despicable spammer.

When I signed up for their forum so I could hear all the teases there and play the Cock Market game, my account was deleted and I had to bug MS Molly to prove I am not an evil wicked despicable spammer.

That however may have actually been a good thing, damn she's hawt! Now on my ever increasing radar of Enchantrixes I have to find a way to call.

Today while futzing around on my server, the reason I was tagged a spammer became clear. I never set up reverse DNS for my mail server. The reverse DNS for the IP addresses (IPv4 and IPv6) associated with my MX record still point to my colo facility, a completely different domain.

Now, if I was not the admin then it wouldn't be my fault, but checking the ptr record is a very common way to determine whether an e-mail is legitimate or possibly spam, and any decent mail system administrator knows this.

Plus 5 to LDW for using such a technique (I assume that's what they did) to help weed out the spammers, and minus 5 to me for not finishing the job on my own mail system.

No comments:

Post a Comment